Should I Contact The DLSE If My Employer Owes Me Money?

Learn if you should contact the DLSE if you are owed money by your employer.
Contact The DLSE if Owed Money

Should I Contact The DLSE If My Employer Owes Me Money?

Workers across the United States are currently experiencing a crisis when it comes to wage theft. A 2009 study done by the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) found that the complaints lodged with the U.S. Department of Labor were routinely leaving workers vulnerable to wage theft.

While you may believe that figuring out how you will cover your expenses is more important, you should check to see if you have a wage claim first. It is in your best interest to act immediately in order to protect your rights under the law as the time to file a wage claim is very limited.

What Is the DLSE?

The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) is the department that is responsible for handling wage claims on behalf of workers who file claims for overtime, wages, or vacation pay according to California Labor Code.

Unlike federal law, the state of California also issues penalties for the following:

  • underpayment of wages
  • paying wages with insufficient funds
  • unlawful deductions from wages
  • failure to provide a meal or break during work hours
  • failure to provide 1 day’s rest from work per week
  • failure to pay wages in a timely manner upon termination

How Do You Know If You Are a Victim of Wage Theft?

It is fairly easy to know if you are a victim of wage theft simply because you know that you haven’t been paid what you believe you are owed. However, in other instances, determining whether you are actually owed more than you have been paid requires that you know and understand your rights as an employee.

Some of the most common ways that employers commit wage theft are by failing to pay for overtime, employee misclassification, minimum wage violations, asking workers to work off the clock, taking illegal deductions from pay, and not paying workers at all.

In order to figure out exactly how much you are owed and if you have a wage claim, you should do the following:

  • Check the time limits that apply to your wage claim to determine how far back you can go to claim wages.
  • Estimate the number of hours that you worked to the best of your ability.
  • Identify your regular rate and/or overtime rate of pay.
  • Multiple the number of hours that you worked times your regular or overtime rate of pay.
  • Subtract the wages that you actually received.

Types of Situations That Warrant You to Contact the DLSE

Every wage claim is different. If you are trying to decided whether or not to contact the DLSE, you should know what types of situations the DLSE can act in.

You should contact the DLSE to file a claim if:

  • You believe that you have unpaid wages, including commissions, bonuses, and overtime.
  • Your wages were paid by a check that was issued with insufficient funds.
  • You did not receive your final paycheck.
  • You have unused vacation hours that were not paid upon the termination of your employment relationship as the result of quitting, a termination, or a layoff.
  • There were unauthorized deductions from your paychecks.
  • You were not reimbursed or paid for business expenses that you incurred.
  • You were not provided with a meal and/or rest period pursuant to the Industrial Welfare Commission Order.
  • You seek liquidated damages for the failure of the employer to pay you minimum wage for each hour that you worked.
  • You seek waiting time penalties for the failure of the employer to pay your final wages in a timely manner upon the separation of employment.
  • You seek damages for bank fees and other penalties resulting from bounced paycheck(s) or paychecks that could not be negotiated within 30 days of receipt.
  • You are requesting sick leave pay for sick time that was accrued and used for which you did not receive payment.

What Should You Do If You Believe That You Have a DLSE Case?

If you believe that you have a DLSE case, you should also gather the appropriate documents that you will need to file a complaint, including your Form W-2 or Form 1099 and any pay stubs.

Do not delay your claim. In order for the DLSE to act on your behalf, you are required to file with the DLSE within 3 years of the date that the claim arose. However, in certain cases, there is a 1 year deadline.

If you need assistance with the complaints process or would like us to review your case, contact us right away. Send us an email or call Walker Law at (619) 839-9978 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave a Reply

Call Us Now